Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Hosford Muscle Tables: Skeletal Muscles of the Human Body
This web site is an index containing detailed information about the skeletal muscles of the human body. Included is each muscle's origin, insertion, action, blood supply and innervation. PTCentral is glad to offer this and other health related services.
Select here to print the Hosford Muscle Tables in a compact table form.
Muscle Regions of the Body:
- Head and neck
- Trunk, front and back
- Brachium, antebrachium & hand
- Thigh, leg & foot
This body image is a client side image map. Click on the image to proceed to the muscles of that region. This image will be active on each subsequent page displayed. Navigation is also provided via the region links above. Once in a region, you will be able to focus further on the muscles of that region. Look for the related links to other Internet resources that are listed within each region.
Muscles in Alphabetical Order:
- A - E
- abductor digiti minimi (in the hand), abductor digiti minimi (in the foot), abductor hallucis, abductor ossis metatarsi quinti, abductor pollicis brevis, abductor pollicis longus, adductor brevis, adductor hallucis, adductor longus, adductor magnus, adductor pollicis, anconeus, anterior scalene, articularis genus, biceps brachii, biceps femoris, brachialis, brachioradialis, buccinator, coracobrachialis, corrugator supercilii, deltoid, depressor anguli oris, depressor labii inferioris, digastric, dorsal interossei (in the hand), dorsal interossei (in the foot), extensor carpi radialis brevis, extensor carpi radialis longus, extensor carpi ulnaris, extensor digiti minimi, extensor digitorum, extensor digitorum brevis, extensor digitorum longus, extensor hallucis brevis, extensor hallucis longus, extensor indicis, extensor pollicis brevis, extensor pollicis longus,
- F - L
- flexor carpi radialis, flexor carpi ulnaris, flexor digiti minimi brevis (in the hand), flexor digiti minimi brevis (in the foot), flexor digitorum brevis, flexor digitorum longus, flexor digitorum profundus, flexor digitorum superficialis, flexor hallucis brevis, flexor hallucis longus, flexor pollicis brevis, flexor pollicis longus, frontalis, gastrocnemius, geniohyoid, gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, gluteus minimus, gracilis, iliocostalis cervicis, iliocostalis lumborum, iliocostalis thoracis, illiacus, inferior gemellus, inferior oblique, inferior rectus, infraspinatus, interspinalis, intertransversi, lateral pterygoid, lateral rectus, latissimus dorsi, levator anguli oris, levator labii superioris, levator labii superioris alaeque nasi, levator palpebrae superioris, levator scapulae, long rotators, longissimus capitis, longissimus cervicis, longissimus thoracis, longus capitis, longus colli, lumbricals (in the hand), lumbricals (in the foot),
- M - R
- masseter, medial pterygoid, medial rectus, middle scalene, multifidus, mylohyoid, obliquus capitis inferior, obliquus capitis superior, obturator externus, obturator internus, occipitalis, omohyoid, opponens digiti minimi, opponens pollicis, orbicularis oculi, orbicularis oris, palmar interossei, palmaris brevis, palmaris longus, pectineus, pectoralis major, pectoralis minor, peroneus brevis, peroneus longus, peroneus tertius, piriformis, plantar interossei, plantaris, platysma, popliteus, posterior scalene, pronator quadratus, pronator teres, psoas major, quadratus femoris, quadratus plantae, rectus capitis anterior, rectus capitis lateralis, rectus capitis posterior major, rectus capitis posterior minor, rectus femoris, rhomboid major, rhomboid minor, risorius,
- S - Z
- sartorius, scalenus minimus, semimembranosus, semispinalis capitis, semispinalis cervicis, semispinalis thoracis, semitendinosus, serratus anterior, short rotators, soleus, spinalis capitis, spinalis cervicis, spinalis thoracis, splenius capitis, splenius cervicis, sternocleidomastoid, sternohyoid, sternothyroid, stylohyoid, subclavius, subscapularis, superior gemellus, superior oblique, superior rectus, supinator, supraspinatus, temporalis, tensor fascia lata, teres major, teres minor, thoracis, thyrohyoid, tibialis anterior, tibialis posterior, trapezius, triceps brachii, vastus intermedius, vastus lateralis, vastus medialis, zygomaticus major, zygomaticus minor.
- Related Anatomy Links:
- Select here to
- print the Hosford Muscle Tables in a compact table form.
Differential Diagnosis Tables for the Musculoskeletal System.
Bony Anatomy / Radiology
Additional Medical Education Links & Resources
- Daniels & Worthingham, Muscle Testing, 6th Ed. W.B. Saunders Co. © 1995. Hollinshead, Textbook of Anatomy, 4th Ed. Harper & Row, Pub. © 1985. Hoppenfeld, Physical Examination of the Spine & Extremities. Appleton & Lange. © 1976. Slippery Rock University, Doctor of Physical Therapy lecture notes, 1995-1996. Stone & Stone, Atlas of the Skeletal Muscles. Wm. C. Brown Pub. © 1990.
Musculoskeletal & Orthopaedics
- Muscular System Picture Anterior
- Care and Feeding of the Musculoskeletal System
- Cleveland Clinic
- Wheeless Online Textbook of Orthopaedics Comprehensive online text of musculoskeletal system in health and disease
- Worldortho On this website you will find over 3000 pictures (another 3500 being added) with accompanying text, quizzes, and online books and podcasts - directed at medical students, junior doctors, registrars, paramedics, and other health professionals
- Medline Plus: Walking Aids Gateway to resources for walking/mobility aids
- Knee Surgery Information Website concerned entirely about the knee and surgery to correct knee injuries. Outlines preventative measures as well as corrective surgery. Provides useful diagrams
- Shoulderdoc.co.uk Website is designed to provide information for patients and medical professionals on Shoulder and Elbow disorders and injuries. Information is available on modern treatments, rehabilitation and expected surgical outcomes
- Spine-Health.com Spine conditions, surgery and rehabilitation information with animated tutorials
- Australian Knee Clinic A website dedicated to the rehabilitation of the knee. Contains videos, pdf and lecture slides
- Orthosports - Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine Physicians Orthosports is a professional association of Orthopaedic surgeons in Sydney who specialize in joint replacement, arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery. Several well constructed patient guides/handouts are provided
Musculoskeletal Exam Videos
These presentations provide overviews of general physical examinations for musculoskeletal conditions in the shoulder, knee, hip, low back, and foot and ankle. The presenting physician describes the test while performing the examination on a live subject.
Obtaining Further Help
Further help can be obtained via a number of different methods:
- Check the Library home page.
- See the Library staff at the Reference/Circulation desk.
- Use the Ask A Librarian from which we aim to respond to within 2 working days
- Take a Library skills course - see our our Information Lieracy page.
Copyright © 2016 Alfaisal University Library. All Rights Reserved.
Tel: +966 1 2158948 Fax: +966 1 2157845 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org