Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Here is a list of information resources in microbiology from credible sources, available in the web:
Biological classification - This is NASA's Global Change Master Directory (GCMD). It enables users to locate and obtain access to Earth science data sets and services relevant to global change and Earth science research. This link takes you to Biological classification datasets that includes microbes and viruses.
BiologyBrowser – This is produced by BIOSIS and it is a free web site offering resources for the life sciences information community. This includes such things as Nomenclature Glossary for Zoology and the Zoological Record Thesaurus.
E.coli database collection (ECDC)
E.coli database collection – ECDC - This collection offers you all possible information regarding the entire E.coli K12 chromosome. The collection is searchable in different ways: by a gen/sequence map, scrolling different tables or just by search for a keyword.
EPA resources on microbiology
EPA resources on microbiology – methods on various microbes!! This provides access to microbiology related information that has been developed or managed by the Environmental Protection Agency. EPA methods related to bacteria, viruses and protozoans can be found at this site.
Human Microbiome Project
Human Microbiome Project - the National Institute of Health Roadmap has initiated the Human Microbiome Project (HMP) with the mission of generating resources enabling comprehensive characterization of the human microbiota and analysis of its role in human health and disease.
PLoS Pathogens - Public Library of Science (PLoS) is a peer reviewed open access journal.
Predictive Microbiology Information Portal
This portal aims to help food companies in the use of predictive models, the appropriative application of models and proper model interpretation. This site links to diverse resources associated with models (PMP), databases (ComBase) , regulatory requirements, and food safety principles.
This OpenAccess database currently has over 10 million full-texts (sourced via the method of self-archiving, as well as other open access databases). Also it contains more than 45 million abstracts, drawn from 7 of the largest databases, such as PubMed, IEEE, Citeseer, etc. Although you can only access the abstracts from these papers, the database does provide a link back to the original source.
Saccharomyces Genome Database
Saccharomyces Genome Database - This is a scientific database of the molecular biology and genetics of the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is commonly known as baker's or budding yeast.
The Consortium for the Barcode of Life (CBOL)
The Consortium for the Barcode of Life (CBOL) - This is an international initiative devoted to developing DNA barcoding as a global standard for the identification of biological species.
Microbiology on the Web
- Human Microbiome Project at NIH (National Institutes of Health) The aim of the Human Microbiome Project (HMP) is to characterize microbial communities found at multiple human body sites and to look for correlations between changes in the microbiome and human health.
PubMed comprises more than 21 million citations for biomedical literature from MEDLINE, life science journals, and online books. Citations may include links to full-text content from PubMed Central and publisher web sites (explore the limiters and the LinkOut).
To start, select MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) from the drop-down menu.
National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS)
NIGMS is one of the National Institutes of Health (NIH). The Institute publishes science education materials in print and online.
The interactive booklets and quizzes on this page are for students at high school and college levels.
Scitable - by Nature Education - is a free science library and personal learning tool brought to you by Nature Publishing Group, the world's leading publisher of science.
Scitable currently concentrates on genetics and cell biology, which include the topics of evolution, gene expression, and the rich complexity of cellular processes shared by living organisms. Scitable also offers resources for the budding scientist, with advice about effective science communication and career paths.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention A federal agency under the Department of Health and Human Services. It works to protect public health and safety by developing and applying disease prevention and control. Use the A-Z Index to find information.
- National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS) Statistical information about the state of America's health.
- Health, United States Annual report from the National Center for Health Statistics on trends in health statistics.
- National Library of Medicine: Medline Plus Health information from the National Library of Medicine (NLM). Easy access to Medline and health topics, medical dictionaries, directories, and publications.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) Part of the National Library of Medicine (NLM). It houses genome sequencing data in GenBank and an index of biomedical research articles in PubMed and PubMed Central, as well as other information relevant of biotechnology.
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases "Leading research to understand, treat, and prevent infectious, immunologic, and allergic diseases."
- USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service: Foodborn Illness and Disease Fact Sheets Essential information about causes and prevention of common foodborne bacteria.
- EPA Microbiology Resources Provides access to microbiology-related information that has been developed or managed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). EPA methods related to bacteria, viruses, and protozoans can be found at this site.
- California Department of Public Health, Center for Infectious Diseases
- World Health Organization Under the United Nations, provides leadership on global health matters and assesses health trends internationally. Use the Health Topics tab to find data and statistics related to disease worldwide.
- Mayo Clinic: Diseases & Conditions A non-profit worldwide leader in medical care, research, and education for people from all walks of life.
- Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy Information on the mechanism and cause, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of over 2000 diseases and disorders.
- Merck Manual of Medical Information Contains virtually all of the information in the Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy, but in easy-to-understand, everyday language
Obtaining Further Help
Further help can be obtained via a number of different methods:
- Check the Library home page.
- See the Library staff at the Reference/Circulation desk.
- Use the Ask A Librarian from which we aim to respond to within 2 working days
- Take a Library skills course - see our our Information Lieracy page.
Copyright © 2016 Alfaisal University Library. All Rights Reserved.
Tel: +966 1 2158948 Fax: +966 1 2157845 Email:firstname.lastname@example.org